Friday, March 24, 2017

Sounds of the Moon: Using Music for Writing Inspiration



Greetings, Wizard Writers!

Throughout my life, music has been a soundtrack for special events and moments in time. It seems only fitting to apply my love of music to my love of writing and find inspiration through melody. Early on in my writing career, I found that music not only helped me when I was writing a manuscript draft or poetry, it also helped me away from my writing. Sitting on the couch, absorbed in a song through my headphones, my mind would form scenes and imagery. Characters ran during uptempo, they cried in downtempo. Plots sprung to mind listening to the voices of folk singers and their tales through song, and themes became apparent through soft new age music that let me reflect on my work. 

Some of my favorite music to write to is new age, so I’m providing a few of the albums that have aided me in the past and currently. While everyone has different tastes in music, some of these albums should inspire you as well, particularly if you write about magic or life quests as I do. Most of these albums have no words, as I feel that during the actual writing process it’s difficult to concentrate with words, but you might feel differently. Some people thrive when writing amongst noise or even with music blaring! If this is you, it might be useful to make playlists of your favorite albums or songs to write to. Songs can even inspire characters—edgy characters might fully form after listening to hard rock/alternative music for example. 

Without further ado, here is a list of albums that might be helpful to you as a writer. Listen while writing, or while away from writing, and I do hope these songs inspire you!

1. Medwyn Goodall
Always a favorite, Medwyn Goodall's music is ethereal and uplifting. Very good for writing magic.




2. Gary Stadler
These are some of my favorite albums to write to, especially when it comes to writing fantasy and magic genres. Some of my favorite albums are: Deep Within a Faerie Forest, Fairy Heart Magic, Fairy Lullabies, Fairy Nightsongs, and Fairy of the Woods.



3. Nox Arcana
For horror writers, you really can't do better than the music of Nox Arcana. Dark, mysterious, and gothic, Nox Arcana is the best out there for macabre writing music. 


So you like to write about witches. This is definitely one of the best new age albums as far as music with very little lyrics and witchy themes.


5. Llewellyn
If you follow my blog, you know I like colors. Colour Healing by Llewellyn covers every color of the rainbow through song. It's a fun album with no lyrics and it should inspire writing. 



6. David Arkenstone
Pretty much everything by David Arkenstone is perfect for background music while writing, although some songs do have lyrics. He has way too many albums to list here, but some of my favorites include Atlantis, The Fairy Garden, Loveren, and Snowfall. This music will definitely take you away to other worlds. 



7. Secret Garden
Many people are familiar with Secret Garden or have listened to them while growing up. These are beautiful and sometimes melancholy melodies that I guarantee will put you in another emotional state. 

8. Christopher Caouette
I had the pleasure of emailing with Christopher Caouette a few years back after writing about his music on my website. This is perfect music to write to if you're writing fantasy, dragons, or sword and sorcery books. 



9. 2002
Soft, moving music to have in the background when you don't want anything too obtrusive. 



10. Carolyn Fazio
I include this one for sentimental purposes. Enchanted World is the first new age music I remember writing to with my first manuscript, so many years ago. I barely remember it, except to say I had this fountain with lights that would turn different colors, and I used to run that in conjunction with this CD and write while everyone else in the world was out having fun in the summer. I don't think Carolyn Fazio has other CDs, but Enchanted World, to me, is a memorable classic. 




What are some of the songs and albums you listen to while writing? Let me know in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Pick a Color! A Spectral Breakdown of Character Traits