Friday, February 24, 2017

The Crackling Cauldron: 30 Sounds to use in Writing






Greetings, Wizard Writers! Today, I’m excited to share with you some helpful and unique sounds to use in your writing. Below is a list of 30 sounds to choose from, and hopefully, these will match up with your writing to make a scene or event POP in your reader’s mind! I’ve compiled this list in my writing journal over time, and it is one of the lists I frequently check back on for inspiration. I hope you can use it to your advantage as well!


  1. Car Door Slam
  2. Car Horn
  3. Waterfall
  4. Rain
  5. Wind
  6. Thunder
  7. Sleet
  8. Car Brakes/Tire Squeal
  9. Electric Guitar
  10. Light Switch (on/off)
  11. Television
  12. Traffic
  13.  Bell
  14.  Alarm Clock
  15.  Pots and Pans
  16.  Fire Crackling
  17.  Barking Dog
  18.  Water Dripping
  19.  Toilet Flush
  20.  Glass Shattering
  21.  Balloon Pop
  22.  Sirens
  23.  Fireworks (firecracker)
  24.  Gun Fire
  25.  Ice Crackling
  26.  Sneeze 
  27.  Wolf Howl
  28.  Ocean Waves 
  29.  Piano
  30.  Meowing Cats


What other sounds can you think of? Please let me know in the comments!

Check back next week for my upcoming blog post: Mystical Moon and Stars: 45 Astronomy Terms to use in Writing





No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Pick a Color! A Spectral Breakdown of Character Traits